Image Map

Tuesday 19 January 2016

THE PRESENT ..........


My sister, brother-in-law, husband and I have bought  each other ' stuff ' for Christmas for many years. All of the ' stuff ' has been lovely and is distributed around our homes or in our gardens but now we often buy each other consumables as we all have so much ' stuff  '!!!! ...... although, ' stuff ' is most welcome too !!!!



The above is our Christmas present for 2015, yet to be ' cashed in ' .....



' World renowned Adventurer, Phileas J. Fogg of  ' Around the World in 80 Days ' fame, having opened the doors to his Mayfair Residence, received the sad news of the passing of his beloved Aunt, the famous actress Gertrude Fogg.
He was made the sole beneficiary to her estate, including her enchanting pied-à-terre, located at 58, St. Martin's Lane.




It was decreed in the will that Fanny McGee, Aunt Gertrude's lifelong housekeeper, be permitted to set up a jovial tavern for her friend's and theatrical acquaintances downstairs.

Greeted by a raucous welcome, guests can revel in real ales, ' mother's ruin ' gin cocktails and grog, in traditional tankards and pewter cups. Weary travellers will be able to tuck into honest fare including ' London's Finest Pie ' and roast of the day sandwiches all day and night.
' Don't hang about ducky !! We aint got time for no time-wasters and dawdlers ' !!



Mr. Fogg, on the other hand, has kept the upstairs Gin Parlour & Salon to relax with companions away from the hustle and bustle.

For the more discerning ladies and gentlemen, we recommend visiting Aunt Gertrude's Salon upstairs. 132 gins, 14 tonics and a plethora of complimenting botanicals await you.




So, we will, at a date to be arranged, step into the past and partake in some refreshment at Mr Fogg's Tavern, and sample some of the above cocktails on offer.... there are 80 to choose from !! There are many other delights on offer including a Gin Safari, Tipsy Tea with Champagne and Gin teas and .....



.....  Mr Fogg's Hendrick's Winter Botanical Gardens, where one can pause and indulge in thoroughly resplendent repose. Here is a sanctuary, an oasis of calm, a sanctum of imperturbability. Whispers and rumours tell stories of Hendrick's as a most unusual gin, infused with rose petals and cucumber, a gin made oddly some might say. A haven of flora and fauna, guaranteed to send your taste buds into bloom.  



..... and then, after the delights of the tavern, a saunter to Pix Pintxos for some delightful treats !

A glorious Christmas present, I think you'll agree ?!! I will tell you all about it after our visit. 








images 1 & 2: via MW, image 3: via pinterest, image 4: via pretty vacant pirate, image 5: via tomato, image 6: via hyhoi, image 7: via the foodie diaries, images 8 & 9: via bar magazine,  image 10: collage images via urbanologies, inception group, drink up london,google, image 11: via es. paperblog

Jackie

42 comments:

  1. That look great.....i wish i was there too.....happy week Darling love Ria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ria ..... wish you were there too !! XXXX

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Such a wonderful gift idea, how fun. Love those interiors, and well ..... the drinks! Tipsy Tea sounds perfect to me. Enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too LeeAnn. I'll let you know what it's like. XXXX

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh Donna .... it is, isn't it ? I shall tell you all about it when we go. XXXX

      Delete
  4. That sounds absolutely wonderful - a trip back into the past - how different things were back then. A truly great gift - so much better than a pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look good doesn't it Elaine ? My sister and brother-in-law think of really good presents and they usually involve eating and drinking !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. You remember the other week when you lost all those followers. I found out today that Blogger were not allowing anyone who wasn't signed to Google to follow Blogger blogs and those people would be elIn 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.



    As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.



    We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

    We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.iminated from your list of followers - here is the blurb:-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that didn't 'paste' quite right - but you get the gist.

      Delete
    2. Oh Elaine, thanks for that .... I didn't know. I got the gist perfectly. What a bloody cheek ..... removing my followers just because they don't have a Google account ..... how on earth has it improved mine or my readers experience ?!!!!! .... and, I lost about 150 followers !!!! Still, I'll live !!! haha. Thanks for the information though .... you're a lovely blogging buddy Elaine. XXXX

      Delete
  6. Oh My Word. This place is so charming that I would be tempted to move in and make it my home. Cocktail hour daily I am certain is guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks good doesn't it Connie ? I'll have to be careful not to have too many cocktails .... I like the sound of all of them !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  7. You are absolutely A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
    What a wonderful Christmas gift.
    Only someone brilliant could have thought of this !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks fun doesn't it Marsha. I shall tell all when we have experienced Mr. Fogg's Tavern. XXXX

      Delete
  8. Oh, what fun! I love the photos.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to going Janie. I love the way it's been decorated. XXXX

      Delete
  9. Dear Jackie,
    that is a marvelous Christmas present indeed!!
    And I am so grateful to read about Mr. Fogg's Tavern - being so often in St. Martin's Lane, how could I overlook it? (Especially as I love Hendrick's gin - and on Christmas son&DiL gave me all the tools to make a good cocktail! Here I'll find a paragon) Instantly I wrote your very special tip into my little pink book - "Ideas what to do in London".
    And you are right: too much stuff around - much better to enjoy one's company, a good meal and a drink. I promise I will observe those Household Rules (difficult with letting the hats at the door - la coiffure often is a bit messy after taking it off...) Britta XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it either Britta and St Martin's Lane is quite a regular haunt for us too ...... it only opened in the Autumn last year so it's very new. I think that I shall leave my hat at home when we go !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  10. That's a new place to me but it certainly looks like a barrel of fun!
    Have a fabulous time - perhaps I'll get there next visit if you tell me it's worth the price of those drinks - wow!!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mary ..... the drinks do look on the expensive side as does everything there BUT ........ WE'RE NOT PAYING !!!!!!!!! haha. XXXX

      Delete
  11. It all looks splendid. I look forward to your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give a full de-briefing after we've been Cro ....... I'd better not have too many cocktails otherwise I won't remember much !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  12. How fantastic, what a brilliant idea, look forward to reading all about it. Have a wonderful time, and I want ALL the details from the minute you walk in, to the end even to describing the Ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do all of those things Barbara ..... the Ladies will be photographed !!! XXXX

      Delete
  13. Oh my . . .
    Lovely gift indeed . . .
    I look forward to your pictures when you treat yourselves . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely gift, isn't it Lynne ? Last year they took us to a Michelin star restaurant. Anything to do with food and drink is OK with me !!! XXXX

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic present! I hope you have a wonderful time Jackie.xx
    P.S ave one for me, me ole duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have two for you Deb me ole duck !!!!! XXXX

      Delete
  15. Oh I love presents like this! The place looks perfect Jackie. Love the 'sword part' in the 'Rules of the Household' :-). Mr Fogg's winter garden looks delightful!

    I will have to keep it in mind for when I next visit London!

    Have a lovely evening!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you and your girls would love it Madelief ........ especially the china !!
      .... and, I think that the Winter Garden looks lovely too especially lit up at night. Enjoy your evening too. XXXX

      Delete
  16. I soooooo want to go here!!!
    You know how I feel about 'stuff'. Consumables often show more thought and are so much more memorable too!
    Look forward to hearing about it :-) Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consumables are the way to go at my age !!!! I shall tell all when we've been. XXXX

      Delete
  17. LOVE IT.........I will be there in spirit PEEKING IN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll drink a few spirits for you Elizabeth !!!!!! ..... and some for myself !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  18. It looks wonderful and well worth a visit. Mind you, if I were to pay a visit, with all those tempting cocktails I'm not sure I would be able to drink in sufficient moderation to find my legs on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit worried about that Nick .... I shall have to pace myself !!!! XXXX

      Delete

  19. nice to be here. I love your blog since I stumble upon and read your personal perspective. Looking forward for more of your journey.


    xoxo,
    Nancy@solidgold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy and welcome ..... it's lovely to ' meet ' new friend's. XXXX

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful gift and what a lovely, interesting story too. I love history and photos like you have here. You really must cash in your gift, btw! How thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a great gift and we shall ' cash it in ' very soon !! Thanks so much for commenting on lot's of my posts Michael ...... you've boosted my comments !!!!! haha. XXXX

      Delete
  21. Mode pemotretan hanyalah Photografer memutuskan seberapa banyak kontrol yang ingin Photografer berikan ke kamera Photografer versus diri Photografer sendiri. https://duniaphoto.com/ Ada banyak opsi mulai dari memberikan kontrol penuh pada kamera hingga Photografer bertanggung jawab penuh.

    ReplyDelete